Sunday, January 11, 2009

Good Outlook for the Week

Yesterday was a pretty relaxing day of just getting people off to the airport. There were a couple of late flights at seven, so we spent a lot of the day hanging out with the Boston College group that was leaving then. We went to the mall for lunch and there was a ridiculous Honduran Price-is-Right kind of show going on with lots of shouting and music and general insanity. The mall is a bizarre place- it's nicer than your average US mall, with a food court filled with Subway, Quizno's, Pizza Hut, Wendy's, etc. It's one of the few places that you can buy a salad here. I decided to get a Wendy's Mandarin Chicken salad, which totally turned out to be a honey mustard salad with bacon and fried chicken. There was absolutely nothing mandarin about the salad, at all. It was still a salad though, so that made me happy.
Today is a free day for almost everyone, but at about 10:30 I'm going to finally go meet Dr. Galo and his wife at her pharmacy in the Centro! Dr. Galo called last night and asked me to meet him there, so hopefully I can get some leads and a lot of my questions answered. I'm a little bit nervous because I've been waiting for a week for this so I need it to go really well. Tomorrow I'm going on a bus to Ceiba (a beach town about three hours from here) to a partially sustainable clinic set up by an American but run by Honduran doctors. In a really funny turn of events yesterday, I actually ran into the person that I had been emailing to set up this visit. I was wandering around the TuriPlaza in Progreso with the latest group that was leaving, and one of the volunteers came up to me and introduced me to Merphran, the man that I had been in contact with for the past couple of days. It was the last thing that I expected from the day, but he was driving through with a group going to Tegucigalpa. Apparently the TuriPlaza is the hot spot for the entire tourist nation. He was really nice and assured me that he could arrange for me to be picked up in Ceiba and driven to the clinic, have a translator on hand (his sister), and get a tour of the clinic and have my questions answered. He had apparently seen one of the volunteers wearing one of the SHH t-shirts and luckily asked one that knew my name. Quite the set of happy coincidences!
I'm off to pack up some boxes of donations- the office (and, in fact, much of the apartment) is a disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment